Support

This blog will be a chronicle of my life as a woman married to a bipolar man. I know that I will NEVER understand what he goes through on a daily basis. However, he will never understand how tortured I am as his loving support. My husband and I are current members of DBSA, but I notice that when attending meetings I am the ONLY support person there. Though it feels great to support my husband through his hardships, I don't feel that I get the full support that I need. I want other supporters to know that there are more of us out there. We're all dealing with our loved ones manic episodes, severe depression, suicidal thoughts, sleeping throughout the day, manic spending sprees and so much more. I understand, I've been through it, I'm GOING through it. We can support each other. We NEED to support each other. We are not alone.

Friday, February 18, 2011

The Aftermath

My husband called me on Sunday, the day after my last post. The first words out of his mouth were, "I want to kill myself." He was sobbing hysterically. I somehow managed to calm him down and find out where he was....San Diego. That's an awful long way from home. My first reaction was to get him somewhere safe. I called the San Diego police, told them that my husband was suicidal and his exact location. They picked him up and took him to County Mental Health in San Diego. I still had no way to get him home, but at least now I knew he was safe.

After I came to terms with the fact that he was safe, around Monday evening sometime, I began to get angry. Really really angry. FUMING! I understand completely that he's ill, but he still needs to be held accountable for his actions. He needs to realize that it is NOT okay to indulge in these impulses.  He knows when he's manic so he needs to be able to tell me instead of disappearing and stealing and selling anything we have of value.

I now cannot pay utilities, because he took the money for that so he could buy a greyhound ticket. I also cannot pay rent because the little money we get from our roommate had to go toward his bus ticket home. I haven't heard back from the job interview I had on Monday, so for right now we're screwed. I hope he has a home to come home to!

I made it perfectly clear to him that I would not be like everyone else he's had in his life. I will make him take responsibility for this and for any time he disappears in the future. If and when he does this again it will up to him to get home. I will always welcome him home with open arms, however, I will NEVER give him so much as a penny to get home again. He's actually quite lucky that I did so this time. I was going to make him find his own way home from San Diego. I made that perfectly clear until I checked the mail. We had received a letter in the mail from disability office telling us of an evaluation he was to have with an appointed psychiatrist. We really need him to get on disability so I couldn't have him missing that appointment.

One thing that did make me feel a little better was the password for the bus ticket. When picking up his ticket from willcall he had to provide them with a password. Since I purchased the ticket, I got to choose the password: IMAJERK. I felt some sense of satisfaction that he had to say that in front of people. I find public humiliation to be a very effective punishment at times.

Hopefully I hear from this job today. I really need work. No one in this house is working right now. Our roommate got fired. I left my last job willingly (before I knew my  husband was ill) and haven't been able to find another one since. My husband can't hold down a job...money stress is crazy right now. Please send me positive thoughts! We really need for me to get this job. The interview went extremely well and I have a good feeling. The longer I go without hearing anything the more nervous I become. It's the only interview I've even been able to get.

2 comments:

  1. maggie.danhakl@healthline.comMay 18, 2014 at 8:59 AM

    Hi,

    Healthline just launched a video campaign for bipolar disorder called "You've Got This" where bipolar patients can record a short video to give hope and inspiration to those recently diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

    You can visit the homepage and check out videos from the campaign here: http://www.healthline.com/health/bipolar-disorder/youve-got-this

    We will be donating $10 for every submitted campaign to To Write Love On Her Arms, so the more exposure the campaign gets the more the videos we'll receive and the more Healthline can donate to research, support, and treatment programs for mental health disorders.

    We would appreciate if you could help spread the word about this by sharing the You've Got This with friends and followers or include the campaign as a resource on your page: http://lifeasbipolarswife.blogspot.com/

    Please let me know if this is possible and if you have any questions. And, if you know anyone that would be interested in submitting a video, please encourage them to do so.

    Best,
    Maggie Danhakl • Assistant Marketing Manager
    p: 415-281-3124 f: 415-281-3199

    Healthline • The Power of Intelligent Health
    660 Third Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 www.healthline.com | @Healthline | @HealthlineCorp

    About Us: corp.healthline.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. i'm Dena from Dallas,Texas..i m here to seek people's advice...please serious people should comment on this post,cos i have been attacked severally on this same post...Here is my story..my husband left me and our daughter to live with another woman,i tried all i could to get him back but nothing worked,I read about PRINCE online who fix love problems and other problems like unemployment,pregnant problems,bad luck, money problem,healing and many more,i decided to contact him,and he told me what to do to get my husband back, he told me my husband will return to me in 3 days and it happened the way he said..since then we have been happy together,everything is smooth between us..I asked him what can i do to pay him back for his great work,he said i should give him what i feel like,I want you guys to advice me on what i can give him in return of his help to my family...Please serious advice only. you can text me +12144627851 if you have serious advice.or you can also write him on his personal email (prince.cocodu.spiritual.help@gmail.com)or visit him on website: http://dadaspiritualtemple.webs.com) for any solution, and you will be grad you did.. thank you for your time ,,

    ReplyDelete